Woohoo I made it! I'm trying to complete this last blog while watching Boston Med, so this might take a while! Where in the world did the summer go?
I LOVE the idea of tagging to organize important links that are specific to your individual needs! This is so helpful having them all in one spot ready to look at over and over again with ease and convenience. I currently have all the links that I refer to saved under my "favorites" section, but they are spread out on my desktop at home, my laptop at home and my school computer! There have been times when I do not have the link saved on my school computer when I have needed it quickly. This is a tool that I will definitely go back to over and over during my professional career!
It is definitely important to think through what type of tags need to be added for your links to be easily found by using the tags you create. The tags should be specific for what the link represents to make it easier on others during a search.
I had a positive experience while learning to use Delicious as a social bookmarking site. It was very easy to navigate and the tutorials provided were helpful. I found several new sites that I have not used before during this session that I think will be helpful for the upcoming school year. Some of the sites I linked were not particularly popular, but they all have to start out somewhere and as I researched the material on those sites, I found them to be very beneficial for my lessons. Navigating through links on Delicious also got my brain back into school-mode, so I feel a little more prepared already than last year!
As I learned about social bookmarking, I realized how helpful and convenient the process will be during lesson planning. I will definitely be using this knowledge in my classroom for not only myself, but for my students as well during research projects. As you have stated before, an issue that we will run in to will be whether or not students have a Yahoo account or not and then even if they do, will they be allowed access by the school's computer administrator.
I have posted the link below to my Delicious account. It is not highlighted, but I added it using the "insert link" button above, so I hope it works! I will type it here just in case it doesn't show: http://delicious.com/candiceparsons
Thanks for the plethora of web-based knowledge!
Peace out!
Thursday, July 29, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I don't know where the summer went, but I certainly didn't get enough of it!
ReplyDeleteI, too, love that Delicious "centralizes" your bookmarks for you. Before I discovered this site, I can't tell you how many times I sat down at my home computer and searched in vain for a site I needed when it was saved on my favorites on my school computer! Delicious has turned out to be a lifesaver for me in that regard!
Tagging can be a huge help when it comes to organizing your bookmarks. What you'll notice as you continue to use Delicious is that as you add new sites, Delicious will actually start to recommend tags for you. I find that particularly helpful because I sometimes forget the exact tag I've chosen to describe a particular topic. It also helps you identify connections between sites that you may not even have been aware of.
Isn't it interesting to see how many others have saved the same bookmarks you use? I'm constantly surprised when I think I've discovered something new and exciting, only to find that 5,000 other people have already bookmarked it. Or vice versa, I'll find that something I'm sure must be a popular resource is only known to five other people!
Creating individual student accounts can be a problem, but the good news is that they only need accounts to save their own bookmarks. They can access your bookmarks without having to log in at all. That makes it super easy for you to create resource lists with a common tag. For example, if you create a tag like "horned_toad," Delicious actually creates a URL that will take your kids directly to your list of links with that tag. They just have to type in delicious.com/candiceparsons/horned_toad, and they'll see the bookmarks you've selected for them!
Woo-hoo indeed! Thing 8 is complete, which means...you're done! Great job this summer; I appreciate all of your hard work! :)