Sunday, July 18, 2010
Thing 6
I listened mostly to science podcasts, such as those from ScienceFriday: "Horshoe Crab Season", "Ahoy Robosailor", "Seeing a Star in a New Light", just because that is my interest. I like the fact that the videos are topic-oriented and interesting for classroom use. These podcasts are definitely just motivational blips to peak the interest of your students for a few seconds. I definitely like the idea of using these as an introduction to most days (if I had the time)!
YouTube is definitely interesting and useful, but you must have a lot of time on your hands to be able to search out the videos that fit the needs of your classroom and most teachers do not have this extra time. Can I request an assistant?
I guess the advantage of embedding a video rather than just posting the link would be for the fact that the video will already be loaded and ready to go instead of having to click on the link and wait for it to load (or hope that it will load).
TeacherTube is geared directly for teacher's use in the classroom, whereas, YouTube is a world of both appopriate and inappropriate videos. TeacherTube is classroom-ready.
Students and teachers alike enjoy the idea of YouTube becuase any little "extra", such as a video from YouTube put into a lecture might peak and keep the interest of all.
Videosharing and podcasting has changed the way we communicate by allowing information to be shared by multiple learners in multiple places at the same time. It has allowed learning to go beyond the classroom to reach a wide variety of learners, which is so important in today's society.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You're absolutely right about YouTube being so useful and so overwhelming at the same time! There are a lot of valuable videos out there and a lot of junk, too! (By the way, that's one of the other advantages of embedding in your blog--your readers just see the video you want them to see, instead of having to go traipse all over YouTube to find it and then have to find their way back to your site!)
ReplyDeleteAs far as the challenge of spending precious time finding videos (or podcasts) that are relevant to your classroom, that's where your Personal Learning Network can come in handy. If you're connected to other educators through blogs, Twitter, Facebook, or some other medium, valuable resources and relevant videos might just cross your radar a little more frequently. As for the assistant, try asking your librarian! (We are information specialists, after all!) ;)
I love your idea for using videos or podcasts as a way to introduce lessons or emphasize concepts. Because they're short in duration, I think that's the perfect use for them--a brief explanation or discussion point for a lesson.
Great thoughts! I enjoyed the clip; I've never seen the movie, but I'm curious and might have to rent it now!
Thing 6 complete!